Thursday, March 28, 2019

Yarn Spinner

PHOTO PROMPT© Sandra Crook
I was at the pub when the bartender told the bloke sitting beside me, “No more for you mate, time to go home.”

I turned but he saw me staring and curling his lips, snarled, “What? You want to guess my name too?”

“Not me buddy,” I replied in a conciliatory tone, “It’s been a tough day.”

I called the bartender, “One last one for me and my buddy here”.

He mellowed down and started to chat.


“I spin straw into gold.  You scoff but those skills made a loser peasant girl into a Queen. The name, sir, is Rumpelstiltskin.”

***
Written for the Friday Fictioneers.  Word count:100

All that yarn meant I had to spin up a tale for this week.  When I wrote that title I did but wonder where the Friday Fictioneer's missing contributor Yarn Spinner is these days.

To read the other writers this week click here.

And on the subject of Queens, here is a great song.

I'd love to read what you think about this post...

Top post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers

24 comments :

  1. I can just see Rumplestiltskin as the town drunk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! He does need to drink his sorrows away ;-)

      Delete
  2. He sounds bitter about the whole episode! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would be, his business plan came undone :-)

      Delete
  3. What a great take on the prompt! You've put that story together extremely well. The line “What? You want to guess my name too?” is a little gem of foreshadowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penny for your lovely comments. I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  4. What a find! And on a pub stool no less.. I wonder if he was giving out any samples of his handiwork. Loved this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Violet. Perhaps the next time after a few in the company of friends, a new drinking game of 'thread spinning'.... ;-)

      Delete
  5. Ooo nice use of Rample... unexpected but makes complete sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tannille, even Rumpelstiltskin needs a shoulder to cry on :-)

      Delete
  6. Time to get him as drunk as possible and then introduce him to some straw...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alistair, I like the way you think :-)

      Delete
  7. Dear Subroto,

    He's probably drowning his sorrows since the miller's daughter turned queen got the best of him. Nicely spun yarn, sir.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He needs to down a tankard or two. Thanks for your comments Rochelle, I am g;ad you liked it.

      Delete
  8. He deserved it, trying to take her firstborn and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did make her a Queen, but you are probably right Alice :-)

      Delete
  9. I had to scroll back up to the top to make sure I wasn't reading the Ministry of Shrawley Walks :) Great take on this prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, you have me intrigued, I need to visit the Ministry of Shrawley Walks now.

      Delete
  10. I really like the dialogue- strong sense of being in the pub with a crusty man - clever unexpected twist into Rumplestiltskin. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've all met a few like that :-) Thanks for your comments Francine, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  11. Well done, Subroto. He was a cranky bugger, wasn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale, it's all that gold that he spun without a reward.
      Maybe he needs to visit the Industrial Tribunal ;-)

      Delete
  12. In days gone by, yarn was obtained locally. It was usually hand-dyed, of high quality and unique Kirjontalanka

    ReplyDelete
  13. You need to know the properties of your knitting yarn because they affect the look and the feel of the garment. svart mattvarp 12/6

    ReplyDelete