Thursday, July 02, 2020

Paved Paradise

PHOTO PROMPT © Na’ama Yehuda

We were in the cab when the song came on.

They paved paradise
Put up a parking lot”

I laughed and she turned to me with eyebrows raised.

“Coincidence much?  I chuckled, “We are on our way to the hotel and a swinging hot spot”.

She grimaced and inched away, we were on our way to a mandatory counselling session after her reluctant return.  

Outside the leaves were changing colours and in a matter of weeks would be gone.  How long would we last?

 Don't it always seem to go

That you don't know what you've got

'Til it's gone.



***
Written for the Friday Fictioneers.  Word count:100

I know that's not a parking lot and it may not be a yellow taxi, but why pass the opportunity to incorporate the words of loved song by a great artist.

To read the other writers for this week, click here.


I'd love read what you think about this post...

20 comments :

  1. By the time we got to Woodstock we were a half a million strong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I am envious Neil. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. The outlook isn't great. Hope the counselling helps, but I'm not holding out much hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. The outlook does look bleak maybe they will have learnt something out of it.

      Delete
  3. There is hope. And there is melancholy. Who knows things may take a good turn. I hold on to optimism you see! :)

    Well done. And Joni Mitchell is <3

    https://natashamusing.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha maybe paradise isn't lost after all.

      Delete
  4. Dear Subroto,

    I can't say it enough. It's not about what you're looking at, it's what you see. Literal adherence to the prompt is discouraged. Good story. I like what you did there and it's also one of my favorite songs.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  5. I hope they have more luck with counselling than i did, mine made matters worse! I have say it doesn't sound to hopeful. At least they had a great song to help them on their way!

    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, sometimes it's hard to hear when your fingers are in your ears ;-)

      Delete
  6. The sun through yellow curtain lace... Loved this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you though I am still seeking that curtain lace ;-)

      Delete
  7. I like how you wove the song through your story, Subroto.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The song was a great counterpoint to the story. Speaking from under my therapist's cap, I don't think there's a lot of hope for these two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, I agree they are drifting further away.

      Delete
  9. That is so funny because the same song came into my head when I saw the picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale. It's the yellow taxi effect I think ;-)

      Delete
  10. Bittersweet story. At least they're trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. At this stage they are finding each other trying ;-)

      Delete