Friday, July 31, 2020

Freedom

PHOTO PROMPT © Jean L. Hays

Outside the garden is bathed in sunlight. I just stand at the door entrance and look at the sunshine filtering through the leaves. Sometimes like a child I look through the stained glass and imagine myself swimming in the ocean with dolphins.

Why do we get so much joy from watching a dolphin swimming in the wild? Seeing them gracefully leaping in and out of the surface of the water is a whole different experience than to watch them turning tricks in an amusement park.

One day I will defy my captor and escape from this caged apartment into freedom.

***
I recognised the photo prompt too, though I didn't realise that it has been seven years since I wrote for it originally.  When I write I always wonder if writing is alright and if I got it right.  This flash is new but but the original one is one my favourites and can be read here - The 'Port-All'

Written for the Friday Fictioneers.  Word count:100

To read the other writers for this week, click here.

I'd love read what you think about this post...

20 comments :

  1. I like the switch from rather wistful to the determination in the last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the dolphins turning tricks. And the ending takes it in a completely new direction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. Good re-run. I hope he managed to break free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Subroto,

    I'd love to swim with dolphins some day. I can imagine it would be an amazing experience. Love your story.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  5. I was imagining myself doing sometghing similar as I started reading, then along came that chilling last line.

    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the opening description in your story.
    Nicely done,
    Isadora ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said. Humans seem to have a strange definition of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! And I really liked the way you linked the freedom of the wild dolphin to his/her wish for his/her own version of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  9. one tends to hope the longest when all hopes are gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  10. I'd love to swim with dolphins. I like the determined tone at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a great experience. Thanks for your comments Gabriella.

      Delete