Thursday, April 16, 2020

Quixote

PHOTO PROMPT © Roger Bultot

From the rooftop of his apartment block he gazes at the city skyline. In the distance the ferocious giants snakes upwards towards the clouds. The apartments in his once vibrant neighbourhood hemmed in by the giants as they march towards it.

The owners of the old apartments are leaving as the builders buy them out. There was a time when they all knew each other names, the rooftop not just a place to go up for a smoke; it was gossip central and even a rendezvous point for lovers.

Not him, he promises to stay and stage his last stand.

***
Written for the Friday Fictioneers.  Word count:100

To read the other writers for this week, click here.

I'd love read what you think about this post...

21 comments :

  1. Ah, it took me a moment to understand who you meant by the giants. I hope he succeeds in hanging on to his home.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he succeeds in stopping the inevitable march of progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, he is tilting at the windmills for sure.

      Delete
  3. Dear Subroto,

    It does feel as if he's tilting at windmills. Thought provoking.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rochelle I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  4. It won't be easy but good on him for trying to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a noble but futile fight. I see the same thing here as I watch the hills where I hike quickly giving way to expanding neighborhoods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. It's a lost cause but he wants to make a stand.

      Delete
  6. I was seeing literal giants for a bit there, and at first, giant SNAKES! Gah! I went back and read that part again, realized you were using "snake" as a verb. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No actual giants and snakes here Linda :-)

      Delete
  7. I like your title as it fits the story well. Snakes is a good name for those pushing old neighbors out of their homes and inserting their yuppie-ism into the hearts of cities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa that was my intent.

      Delete
  8. I think it will be hard to stand alone... but it's a good thing that he tries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If only everyone could hold on to that promise.... Then the neighborhood would still be gay!

    ReplyDelete