Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Evening Hymn

PHOTO PROMPT © Carla Bicomong

In the evening, as dusk descends we find ourselves on the banks of the river along with thousands of others.  The air is thick with incense, scented flowers and clanging bells. 

Why am I here?  Just to light a lamp and float it on the river?  Is there any meaning to my action?  These are questions that remain unanswered.

Yet when we chant the evening hymn I feel my troubles dissipate away.

I pay my salutation to the light / lamp
That brings auspiciousness; prosperity, good health,
 An abundance of money and wealth,

And the destruction of the intellect’s enemy.




***

Here we go go again with another round of  Friday Fictioneers.  The floating lamps had me thinking of the floating lamps aarti in the river Ganges and the chanting of the hymn Shubham Karoti Kalyanam.

To read other stories by the Fictioneers this week click here

I'd love read what you think about this post...

28 comments :

  1. even the meaningless stuff can be meaningful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly can. Thanks for your comments Neil.

      Delete
  2. Interesting take. Worth it for that moment of peace, before real life troubles crowd in again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think any moment of real peace is worth the trouble. Thanks for your comments Iain.

      Delete
  3. Well, that was surprising! Great ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:30 am

    The peace of the evening song before the battle recommences. Great piece. Jilly, Sugar on the Bee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jilly, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this, Subroto... quiet before the storm, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing what a moment of shared peace can do for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amplifies the experience. Thanks for your comments Alistair.

      Delete
  7. A very nicely written meditation on the nature of one type of religious experience. Well done, Subroto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments Penny, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  8. Dear Subroto,

    Evocative piece. I really enjoyed it.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rochelle, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  9. I like the way questioning turns to belief through chanting - shared words and rhythms engage the soul.
    (I have finally worked out Blogger doesn't like Safari - I have become very frustrated over the past weeks with posting comments that disppear. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, I think you have got the flow correctly.

      I know Blogger can be frustrating for Wordpress users. I use chrome on my Mac so not sure about Safari.

      Delete
  10. Tmaso ma jyotir gamyo .....
    A great take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥
      Thanks for your comments YS.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful, Subroto. Your description put me right there on the river's bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  12. Beauiful piece. Rituals are important and often helpful, whether you believe in their background myths or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something to be said for a shared experience. Thanks for your comments Gabi, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete