Sunday, May 05, 2019

Melting Words

PHOTO PROMPT © Roger Bultot
There was only one reason that made me walk to Synagogue Street on Saturdays.  It wasn’t for the old Irani food joints that lined the street selling enticing kebabs and sweet chai.

It was to catch a glimpse of Esther she walked with her family to the imposing red building.  A hint of smile flitted on her lips as she walked past me.  Next Monday in school she would ask how my weekend went while I’d stammer and talk about cricket.


A lifetime later I reminisce and think of all the words I should have said to melt her heart.

***

Written for the Friday Fictioneers.  Word count:100

I couldn't let the weekend go without contributing to the prompt.  Technically it's Monday here but being a public holiday I'll take this opportunity to slip this in.  So I dug in to the memory of a building that I'd seen in my childhood and used that as a story.  For those interested here is a link to an article about the Indian Jewish actresses who once ruled the Hindi cinema  https://www.bh.org.il/blog-items/bollywoods-jewish-superstar-actresses/



 To read the other writers click here.

I'd love to read what you think about this post...

21 comments :

  1. Some possibilities are too perfect to be marred by realisation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Realisation sometimes comes too late. Thanks for reading Neil.

      Delete
  2. Dear Subroto,

    The things I don't know could fill the ocean. Sweet story and the thank you for sharing the article.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle, happy to fill in the knowledge gaps ;-)
      I am glad you liked the story.

      Delete
  3. How interesting. I'm so glad you posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good story and writing, Subroto. Thanks for the link to the Jewish actresses of Bollywood. ---- Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne, I found that link fascinating.

      Delete
  5. I suspect we all have regrets that play on our minds in later life. Nice one Subruto.

    Keith's Ramblings is but a click away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regrets we all had a few :-)
      Thanks for your comments Keith.

      Delete
  6. Oh no - don't talk about cricket. What a sad story. Great characters. I want him to travel back in time and melt her heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only he could go back in time. Thanks for your comments Margaret, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  7. Many's the time I've thought about what I could've said to that girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali, the words come so easily later on ;-)

      Delete
  8. So sweet and as a child there were none of the barriers really that you would feel as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Björn . None of the religious and social barriers for sure, but shyness gets in the way ;-)

      Delete
  9. I'm so bad for that - thinking of exactly the right thing to say when it is already too late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. The best replies often come to us when it's a too day late ;-)

      Delete
  10. Such a touching portrait of a childhood crush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jade, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  11. Im no expert, but I believe you just made an excellent point. You certainly fully understand what youre speaking about, and I can truly get behind that. SEO Agency Vancouver

    ReplyDelete