Thursday, September 13, 2018

The Inheritance

PHOTO PROMPT © J Hardy Carroll

Growing up I was fascinated by my Grandfather’s Cuckoo Clock.   It was an intricately carved clock with ornate carved bone hands and natural walnut patina.  Every hour the cuckoo sound was played, the cabin door would open and dancers would come out.  

Granddad often joked that he would leave it to me in his will.  So when I moved away I wrote letters to him so that he would not forget.


I found other interests, friends and the clock faded from my memory.   But I continued to write to him.  Till one day a letter arrived from his solicitors.

***

Here we go clocking another week of the Friday Fictioneers.

Word Count : 100.

Like last week am going for two submissions. The second unrelated story can be found here -> Time Out

To read other stories by the Fictioneers this week click here

I'd love read what you think about this post...

22 comments :

  1. and then his life changed irrevocably

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those letters would prove more valuable than the clock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bond was formed which was more precious than the clock.

      Delete
  3. Ah, so she got the clock after all. Sweet and sad take on the photo prompt.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a sentimental value to it now.

      Delete
  4. Dear Subroto,

    No doubt, Grandfather appreciated those letters. Nicely done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lost art of letter writing still works magic.

      Delete
  5. Grandfathers, like elephants, never forget; FACT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so sad.

    A really well thought out take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:16 am

    "And the clock stopped, never to go again, when the old man died." (My Grandfather's Clock). I remember that song though haven't thought about for years. I like that he always wrote to his grandfather, who would have enjoyed that very much. Jilly, Sugar on the Bee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What started from selfish motives changed to an enjoyable pastime. Thanks for your comments Jilly.

      Delete
  8. There are some promises that grandfather's never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when they know that their gift will be appreciated and remembered.

      Delete
  9. This leaves me wondering if he got the clock at all, or perhaps more than he ever expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did get the clock and possibly more.

      Delete
  10. I am afraid that letter writing has suffered the same fate as the Cuckoo clock. Lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ty Jo. U r rite abt ltr wrting dyng out.

      Delete
  11. The consistency of your writing is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uma, consistently good I hope ;-)

      Delete