Monday, June 08, 2015

Chains of Love

PHOTO PROMPT – © C. Hase
Every year my family would escape to my Grandfather’s house in a remote village by the sea.  Long before movie stars and wealthy holidaymakers redefined it as a trendy resort, my cousins and I would meet and explore its unspoiled charms. 

We would feast on fresh catch from the sea - fishes, oysters, clams, mussels and shrimps - cooked in delicate gravies or simply fried with spices.    


On the beach were the remains of the old fortress, its crumbling ramparts awaiting our imagination. Tripping over those ruins were the happiest days of our lives.  We remain chained by those memories.

**
Written for the Friday Fictioneers  Word Count : 100.  
To read what the links in the Friday Fiction chain go here.  

This must be the last link in the chain for this week's entries. 

10 comments :

  1. Dear Subroto,

    There are many chains in our lives, aren't there? The ones in your story are positive. and I always enjoy a Beatles song.

    Shalom

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle, sometimes it's nice to write a post without killing anyone :-)
      I am glad you liked the post and the song.

      Delete
  2. In this case, the chains that keep us connected to our past are desirable and good. What an original way of thinking about it. I love this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why we call them the 'chains of love'. Thanks for reading and commenting Margaret, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Margirene in regard to our chains to the past. They keep us anchored and provide identity and shared experiences with those we love. I hadn't heard that particular Beatles song and enjoyed it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats exactly how I thought of it. Thanks for your comments Russell I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  4. Lovely story with great description, Subroto. Those are memories anyone would love to have. Well done and thanks for the musci. :) --- Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy childhood memories last a lifetime. Thanks for your comments Suzanne, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  5. This is a great take on the prompt. Chained to a place, or people, through memories... I never thought about it quite like this. Could be good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on what memory you chain yourself to. Thanks for reading and commenting GaH.

      Delete