Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Pursuit of Happiness

PHOTO PROMPT © Linda Kreger 

“Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty.” - Socrates.

All I ever wanted was for her to be happy. I congratulated her when she announced her engagement to that wealthy financier.  She had clearly moved on after our relationship.  Some would say it was a natural end to a high school romance.

Nothing held her back.  Her widowed mother, a feisty lady who enjoyed her independent living, gave her permission to move.


But it's hard to abandon a parent who needs looking after a violent home invasion.  So she stayed.  Look at how content we are now.

***

Written for the Friday Fictioneers.  Word count:100

To read the other writers this week, click here.

Hello Fictioneers, it's been a while.  I didn't realise that I had been away that long till I saw the date of my last post.  I have missed a few by not wanting to put in a late submission but I intend to work on that and contribute more.

I'd love to read what you think about this post...

25 comments :

  1. I'm glad she decided not to abandon her mother after what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali but that invasion probably needs investigating ;-)

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure that's the best recipe for a contented relationship. Good one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. As long as she does not find out but who knows what might happen.

      Delete
  3. There's something quite sinister in that last line. Extreme solution to his problem! Nice writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I think you got it ;-)

      Delete
  4. Thought provoking story. Well done!

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Subroto,

    By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes. It seems that this "contentment" has a darker story behind it. Subtly menacing narrator. Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle. There is indeed a dark side to it and I was hoping it would get picked up by the readers.

      Delete
  6. That creeps me out. Let me guess who that violent home invader was...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. Your guess is good as mine Gabi ;-)

      Delete
  7. So I'm left a bit uncertain as to how "happy" they really are. Not sure why. Maybe the voice here was less than exuberant. In any case, you've done a great job of giving me something to consider :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Linda, not all is as it seems. There is evil lurking beneath the contentment.

      Delete
  8. That last line has left me wondering - should we take it literally? An intriguing tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not Keith. It's implied that she has stayed behind and maybe the narrator has a hand in the home invasion (at least that was the intent behind the flash).

      Delete
  9. Her duty made her stay. I don't know just how happy that makes her - I worked with a woman who did just that... and ended up never living her own life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment she is back with an old flame and it seems fine.
      But she does not know yet about the dark deeds to get her to stay.

      Delete
  10. Sometimes you just have to stay... and maybe it was not only the mother who was happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She probably does not regret it but she does not know that the way to make her choose had a sinister element to it.

      Delete
  11. Good storytelling. Necessity is the mother of invention, or should that be invasion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Lisa, I do like your version of the saying in this case.

      Delete
  12. A recounting of a story like this by one of the parties is sometimes quite unreliable. The person telling it was quick to accept that engagement after a long romance. A good story, Subroto. ---- Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very unreliable I'd say. Thanks for your comments Suzanne.

      Delete
  13. Makes me wonder who planned that invasion.

    ReplyDelete