Saturday, November 03, 2018

Prawns on a Chessboard

PHOTO PROMPT © Jeff Arnold

“Sometimes,” he said “I feel like a prawn in a game of chess.”

“Pawn,” I replied “you mean ‘pawn’ in the game of chess.”

He looked pained at the interruption.  We were only half an hour into the long story of his domestic problems.

“Sorry,” I said “that was shellfish of me.  Do carry on.”

“It’s this insane competition that my wife and her sister are carrying on social media.  At their age both think they are sex thimbles.”

I opened my mouth and closed it quickly.

“What’s your plan?”


“What can I do but wait?  Patience is a virgin.”

***
Word Count : 100.

Looking at the photograph for this week I wondered if I could write a story from the pigment of my imagination.  As our ex Prime Minister Tony Abbot had once said, "No one however smart, however well-educated, however experienced … is the suppository of all wisdom."

So welcome all to another week of the Friday Fictioneers.  To read what the other Fictioneers are seeing this week click here

Initially I was going to recycle this story written in the past for Narrator International but decided to have some fun instead.

I'd love read what you think about this post...

19 comments :

  1. Mrs Mallaprop eat your heart out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil you are a gentleman and a schooler.

      Delete
  2. Ha ha - great read! Thank you for making me laugh.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it. All good things come to a friend.

      Delete
  3. I was gonna make a malapropism comment, but Neil's was too good.
    And this story was great. I used to work with a guy who was frankly the king of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale. You know life can be like eggs, if you can’t beat ’em, boil ’em.

      Delete
  4. You should have been further up the squares with this one. We could all do with a giggle these days, and I truly giggled at this. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. I know what you mean, late submissions mean less comments. Should post on time and reap benefits like the early bird who gets the wheat germ.

      Delete
  5. Heehee, very funny :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain sometimes it doesn't take rocket appliances to write these down.

      Delete
  6. Prawn and Shellfish, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abhijit I am happy that everyone got the jest of the story.

      Delete
  7. Love the pun, but don't forget if you cannot solve it with brains you can resort to mussels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining in Björn. As it has been said - laugh and the world laughs with you, sleep and you sleep alone,

      Delete
  8. Hah. Enjoyed your funny take. I liked the pigment of imagination too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Priya. I am also glad that everybody had some antidotes to tell.

      Delete
  9. Dear Subroto,

    What's life without laughter? As we all know, a day without sunlight is night. And a pun is the lowest form of pastry. Love your take. You never flounder.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rochelle, nothing wrong in a crusty pun. As Nero said Where there’s smoke, there’s a lyre.

      Delete