Thursday, July 26, 2018

Twilight

PHOTO PROMPT © Ted Strutz
There is that moment in time the sunlight fades and dusk approaches.  It’s when the colors dance on the horizon before darkness falls creating magical moments in twilight.

 As the oldest resident of the island she had watched countless sunsets long before tourism had transformed her sleepy fishing community into a busy hotspot forcing long term residents to leave.  

But not her, she would stay till the end with her two sons by her side.


From his house at the top of the hill, the old man mumbled, “Now where is she walking off all alone at this hour?”

***

So glad to be back for another episode of the Friday Fictioneers but sometime life gets in the way and for no reason you find that you are taking a black dog out for a walk,  I guess writing is a good excuse to put that beast back in chains.  I did convert my A to Z poetry challenge into an e-book that can be found here A to Z Poems.  It is free for Kindle Unlimited users, the poems are accessible from this blog anyway (http://subrotopant.blogspot.com/search/label/Poetry), I just wanted an ebook format and chose the one I knew (note to self smashword allows users to put out free ebooks).
That is enough rambling for one entry, I hope you readers will read and comment.

To read other stories by the Fictioneers this week click here

I'd love read what you think about this post...

30 comments :

  1. How sad, something tragic has happened and she can't bare to leave the memory of her sons. Touching story. Well done on the ebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain I think you have perfectly come up with the essence of the story.

      Delete
  2. Dear Subroto,

    You always leave a void when you don't show up. Beautiful and poignant piece. The last lines goes right for the heart. Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle, I am touched by your words.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. She is indeed but while she is carrying on by herself, memories stir up inside her.

      Delete
  4. So nice to have you back amongst us, Subroto. This was beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dale I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  5. Touching piece, she at least has her sons with her in some way. I hope she makes it back home safe. Nice to have you back with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They remain in her thoughts and the recesses of her mind. Thanks for your comments Fatima.

      Delete
  6. You give us a strong sense of place in this story. The old lady and her sons are part of the history of the little town. I admire her determination to stay, although the old man's comment makes me fear for her safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear that the spirits are calling out to her to join them. Thanks for reading and commenting Penny.

      Delete
  7. That is so identifiable. It reminded me of places in Uttarakhand.
    Congratulations for the e-book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uttarakhand is changing in so many ways, I am not sure if for the best. Thanks for your comments YS.

      Delete
  8. i guess she fell victim to progress as well. she may have to change her routine walking in the wee hours of the morning instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ghosts of the past call out to her at night. Thanks for reading and commenting Plaridel.

      Delete
  9. I admire her for sticking around - it's her home after all - but such change for her to cope with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her way of life is changing as the old order gives way to new. Thanks for your comments Alistair.

      Delete
  10. A beautiful tale of an old yet very strong lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you Piyali I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  11. I hope all goes very well for her. It's hard to let go of something that important

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard when a whole way of life changes. Thanks for your comments Larry.

      Delete
  12. A story that warmed and tugged at my heart-strings. She'll be alright, I think. Congrats on the ebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  13. I so wonder if those young men are really more sinister things... I got the feeling that she might be a bit confused... but I might have misunderstood the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Björn. You got it right, she is old and confused and sees people who are not there anymore.

      Delete
  14. I think she's taking a walk down memory lane. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghosts of a better time past. Thanks for your comment Sandra.

      Delete
  15. Oh, so sad. She's keeping her sons with her in her memory, though, and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They remain in her memory forever. Thanks for reading and commenting Linda.

      Delete