Sunday, October 22, 2017

Under the Tree

PHOTO PROMPT © Sandra Crook
I know every inch of the tree at the bottom of the backyard. As a child I climbed it’s wind-beaten, gnarly limbs a countless times. My imagination giving it countless shapes but mostly it was a refuge from my parents warring inside the house.

My mother’s disappearance made headlines across the state.  The investigators questioned me but I told them to ask the tree.  The child is traumatised they told my father and left.  

The house filled up with our silence. I would tell the tree my secrets and let my words mingle with the susurration of the leaves.  

**

Written for Friday Fictioneers Word Count : 100.

Back again to the Fictioneer's fold after some time away.

To branch out and read the other stories this week click here

16 comments :

  1. Dear Subroto,

    And this reader is left wondering what his secrets might be. Lovely writing. I hear the gentle susurration of leaves.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree knows them all. Thanks for your comments Rochelle, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. I couldnt help but wonder if his mother was under the tree. Very well written

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that is a secret that he is keeping. Thanks for reading and commenting Dahlia.

      Delete
  3. Lovely story of a sad childhood. The secrets that tree could tell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a burden that the tree keeps then. Thanks for your comments Alistair.

      Delete
  4. He found a way to end the conflict. Nicely done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That secret lies only with the tree. Thanks for reading and commenting Sandra.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous1:40 am

    Learned a new word. Lovely write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks YS I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  6. Oh, what does the tree know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably everything that the child has told it.

      Delete
  7. What can you ever know... how can you ask a tree if you cannot sussurate like them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree absorbs it all without giving anything away.

      Delete
  8. Did the mother abandon them, did the father kill her?
    Only the tree knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree only knows what the child has told it. Thanks for reading and commenting Purba.

      Delete