Thursday, August 20, 2020

Forever Home


PHOTO PROMPT © Ted Strutz

I always wanted to live in a house with a picket fence, one with wrap around verandas and a weatherboard look outside. Last week I was driving when I went past this house with a ‘for sale’ sign.

The moment I saw it I knew I had found my forever home so I went to take a look. I felt it calling, beckoning me. The gate swung open and the front door was unlocked. 

I’ve discovered that there are ten of us here still alive. It’s the susurration of our desperation that you hear as the house reels you in.


***

Written for Friday Fictioneers. Word Count : 100


To read the other writers click here

I'd love read what you think about this post...

20 comments :

  1. Let's hope he gets on with the other nine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has no other option except to get along.

      Delete
  2. Nice twist - does seem like the perfect place for an afterlife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. He didn't really want to be there.

      Delete
  3. Genuinely creepy! I hope someone comes to set them free but somehow I don't think anyone will. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Siobhan, I think he is stuck there forever.

      Delete
  4. Dear Subroto,

    At least he'll never feel alone. Love the old song.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  5. Interesting story. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Subroto, I was surprised and pleased by the twist of your story. Ghosts are looking for that feeling of home also, which I hadn't considered before reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. He wanted a forever home so the house just sucked him.

      Delete
  7. Eek, a house hungry for living souls to devour... or is it just lonely? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali, it's a bit greedy I think :-)

      Delete
  8. Ahh! The house is trying to make a family. That's sweet.

    "Susurration" Good word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks nobbin. The house wants to take over the neighbourhood ;-)

      Delete
  9. The house has quite a big belly... how many dead are there inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many to count. Thanks for commenting Björn.

      Delete