Thursday, April 25, 2019

Lest We Forget

Copyright Sandra Crook
I close my eyes and recall the smell of the salty sea breeze mixed with the stench of death.  Even after these years the cries of my fellow soldiers reverberate in my ears.  The beach, littered with wounded men – English, French, Indians, New Zealanders and Australians.

My corps handled the supply Mules that serviced areas where motor transport was impossible. But we were under constant sniper and machine gun fire during the day. My brother was shot and died as I held him. Those heartrending final moments on the beach etched in my mind forever. 

Remember them Lest We Forget.

***
Written for the Friday Fictioneers.  Word count:100

On 25th April being Anzac day I decided to write an Anzac themed story.  Around 15000 Indian soldiers fought in Gallipoli but for a long time their contribution remained unknown.  Fortunately this is changing.  In total around 74187 Indian troops died during World War 1.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

I am going for a two for one deal this week.  To read the other story click here.

To read the other writers this week click here.

I'd love to read what you think about this post...

22 comments :

  1. It's good that you don't forget. Perhaps 100 years on, we can reassess why

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps 100 years on all conflicts will end.

      Delete
  2. Dear Subroto,

    Perfectly timed and told. Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad. When will humans learn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not looking good at the moment, maybe that's why we are condemned to repeat history.

      Delete
  4. Powerful snapshot, well written

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very powerfully told.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's very powerful. Wars are cruel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed. Thanks for your comments Gabi.

      Delete
  7. Beautifully done, Subroto.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, we should never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Thanks for your comments Michael.

      Delete
  9. I didn't know about all the Indians who fought in the wars until I came to India. My husbands uncle, a retired colonel, fought in hand-to-hand combat against the Japanese along side the British and Gurkhas in the Burma jungles. A great story in tribute, Subroto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that personal connection Suzanne. At the height of the World War, more than 2.5 million Indian troops were fighting Axis forces around the globe. Over a hundred and fifty thousand Indian troops (including those from modern day Pakistan, Nepal, and Bangladesh) died in the two World Wars. Largely unacknowledged in the past but that is changing.

      Delete
  10. I am not surprised that it has been forgotten... may we remember indeed, for so many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Björn. May we never forget their sacrifice.

      Delete
  11. A great tribute. Your narrator's experience would have been multiplied so many times during that war and all the others that followed (and preceded too). I'm glad he survived.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad that I know about Anzac Day--perhaps from something you have written before. You have captured the desperation so well. There isn't much about war that's glorious, except perhaps the human will to survive no matter what.

    ReplyDelete