Thursday, October 11, 2018

Walled In

PHOTO PROMPT © Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

These days I am followed by whispers wherever I go.  Surreptitious glances cast my way and knowing looks exchanged.

‘What is the truth?’ they ask.

‘Why did you keep it hidden for so long?’

The air is thick with accusations that are dense like the morning fog. 

I built walls around myself the day innocence died.  Brick by brick I built an impenetrable fortress around my fears, feelings and emotions. 

They ask for details and mock me for remembering them. 

Your power and connections may set you free now but I know each night your guilt walls you in too.

***

Word Count : 100.

It's time to visit the old stone house for another week of the Friday Fictioneers.

I am going for two submissions this week. The second one can be found here -> Bachelor Prince

To read other stories by the Fictioneers this week click here

I'd love read what you think about this post...
Featured post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers

28 comments :

  1. I like where you took this

    ReplyDelete
  2. the day innocence died, sounds very sad, and reading through the lines, grim. But a good piece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Building wall may help hide one from accusations, but accusations would not end. Best is to confront the accuser at a time of your choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes trauma stops you from doing what may sound logical later.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:33 am

    A prisoner of guilt but not all are. However, hopefully, some day the power and connections may not protect any longer. Jilly, Sugar on the Bee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True many get away with it. Hopefully there is a change on the way.

      Delete
  5. This is the better of your two stories this week. You do a really good job of imagining the feelings surrounding an abused woman when she is finally able to confront her abuser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny, the other was a light hearted treatment whereas this was a more serious attempt.

      Delete
  6. Her condemnation of her tormentor in the last line is profound. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  7. Well done, Subroto.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Subroto,

    Well written metaphor for where so many of us. "I am a rock...and a rock feels no pain..." Good job as always.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  9. I think this is the life of many after a war...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Björn, it could be akin to a war too.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful description of that process. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very topical take in today's time especially India. Cannot decide which one I like better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those incidents were at the back of my mind. Thanks for your comments Dahlia, I am glad you liked them both.

      Delete
  12. this is one of your best. darn, i wish i could be half as good as you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment plaridel I think you are pretty good yourself.

      Delete