Thursday, October 18, 2018

Maxed Out

PHOTO PROMPT © Jilly Funell
Edited Version follows:
I was at my usual spot at the wharf. The couple behind me were conversing.

“Darling the thing about true happiness is that it does not ask for much.”

“I just desire luxury goods.  It makes me happy.”

“Well people often confuse desire with happiness.  It was true of my past life when I was more intent in chasing the material aspects of things.  The designer labels, the fast cars and various items of luxury.”

“What exactly are you trying to say?”


“My credit card is over the limit.  We can’t shop here anymore.  Hey wait where are you going?”
***
Word Count : 100.

Original Version below:

I was at my usual spot at the wharf. The couple behind me were conversing.

“The thing about true happiness is that it does not ask for much.  Then there is desire, which doesn’t work the same way, but people have often confused the two.  It was true of my past life when I was more intent in chasing the material aspects of things.  The designer labels, the fast cars and various items of luxury.”

“What exactly are you trying to say?”


“My credit card is over the limit.  We can’t shop here anymore.  Hey wait where are you going?”

***
Word Count : 100.

NOTE: Thanks to Penny's feedback I now have two versions.

We are hanging around the tower for this week's episode of the Friday Fictioneers.

I am going for two submissions this week. The second one can be found here -> The Drop Off

To read other stories by the Fictioneers this week click here


I'd love read what you think about this post...

34 comments :

  1. Love it, an interesting way to try and explain their predicament!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. I liked the format. You're allowed to eavesdrop on other people's conversations. You're writer. Spies are allowed too, Everyone else is a busybody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Everyone else is a busybody"
      Now that's a nice way to put it. I am glad you liked the format, though I've reworked it a bit.

      Delete
    2. Spot on, Neil!

      Delete
  3. It's a great response to the prompt. I love the 'eavesdropping' format. However, I hope you don't mind me saying that I'm afraid I don't think it quite works. For me, it's the dialogue; it's too explanatory. If you could break up the second paragraph so both people are involved, and make it about feelings rather than abstract concepts you'd have a much stronger story (IMO).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Penny. That does make sense. I guess I was in a hurry to submit it instead of reworking it. I have made some changes and kept the original to show the difference.

      Delete
  4. I like your response to my concrit! Thank you for not being offended. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not offended by the feedback at all. Thanks for helping me improve my submission Penny.

      Delete
  5. a very pragmatic approach......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting IB.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your comments Stuart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Subroto, good on you for taking Penny's advice. The newer version is truly well done. I loved this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale, the feedback was very helpful indeed.

      Delete
  8. Bravo. Sometimes the smallest correction makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, you are right, a little editing and it made all the difference.

      Delete
  9. When all logical and philosophical arguments become ineffective, credit card limit seals everything. It is like a trump card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It showed what the relationship was really about :-) Thanks for your comments Abhijit.

      Delete
  10. Not a match made in heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:26 am

    I like the edit as per Penny's suggestion and as an inveterate eavesdropper, I loved this piece. A subtle study of a relationship about to be chopped in half, like an expired card. Jilly, Sugar on the Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Jilly, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  12. Well worked, I enjoyed this

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oops... that's when you know were the attraction lies.. damn the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love is a small plastic card :-) Thanks for your comments Björn.

      Delete
  14. Observation is key for writers! Great write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2:38 pm
      Thanks Lisa, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  15. I liked the edited version. I love how the one suddenly waxes philosophical when the credit card is maxed out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fatima. Yes a side benefit of credit credit cards maxing out is the birth of instant philosophers :-)

      Delete
  16. Dear Subroto,

    Good on you for taking Penny's advice. The second version is tighter. And that last line in both versions says it all. Good job. Made me laugh. No mun no fun.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good advice. Thanks for your comments Rochelle I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed both versions of your story. Well done ...
    Isadora ��

    ReplyDelete