Sunday, March 21, 2021

Secrets

PHOTO PROMPT © Liz Young


The tree in the temple compound is mutating.  The villagers have noticed the changes and each day I see them gathered around whispering in huddled groups.

The stout, branch-supporting pillars take years to grow.  Now each night a new snakelike, aerial root grows downward clawing its way to the ground.

The elders claim that it is the result of our sins.  The unnatural growth fuelled by lust and avarice.  They come to me for absolution with their panicked eyes seeking redemption.

I grant it easily but I know the truth.  Each lie I utter brings forth a new twisted strand.

***
Written for Friday Fictioneers. Word Count : 100

To read the other writers this week click here

I am little late this week, I was on on a personal discovery this week that I blogged here

I'd love read what you think about this post...

16 comments :

  1. A dropped growth from above. Unique angle most generally sins would be depicted as growth from the ground like weeds. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. I believe if your story were a metaphor it would be hauntingly apt. I imagine those roots are digging our graves. Good storytelling, Subroto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Subroto,

    Oooh, this one digs deep. Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle, so glad you liked it.

      Delete
  4. Oh, the tangled webs we weave...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Thanks for reading Nobbin.

      Delete
  5. I really like this one, Subroto!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightfully dark and creepy, I wonder where it will all end...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a whole new forest I think :-)

      Delete
  7. Intriguing. Well done.

    ReplyDelete